Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day 2: Training at Stoke and watching some games

We woke up at 8 this morning and Ken picked us up at 9. Despite eating at home, Ken still insisted that we leave by 9. The Stoke teams start breakfast around 9 and start training at 10. So we got there 45 minutes before training and just kind of stood around for half an hour looking somewhat lost and out of place. The way Stoke works is kind of cool. There is the 1st team, which is basically a pool of 30 or so players who train together, and the younger guys. The reserves are made up of mostly backups from the 1st team and the top couple of younger kids. So, finally when we got going, I (Brett) trained with the goalkeeper coach and the 1st team goalkeepers (didn't look like there was a younger keeper with them) and Steve was with the youth side, which are no older than 18. Once they hit 18 they're either offered a pro contract by the club or they're cut loose to look for something else. Steve easily held his own, hopefully he'll get a shot with the older guys tomorrow or another day. He said he screwed some things up that he usually wouldn't, but probably attributable to a bit of nerves. I was the same way, but my mistakes were much more obvious given that there were only 3 other people there. I've never, ever, ever faced shots that hard, from anybody, my 2 days of training at the Timbers included. We did a series of drills, sets of 6 reps each. Nothing was that exhausting, but the balls just come in sooooo much harder than I'm used to. The 2nd half of the training session was mainly a crossing/shooting drill with the players. The keepers shot harder than anything I've ever faced. The field players shot harder, and more accurately. Not one of my better days in the net. But, I can now say I've had the privilege of being scored on in training by Beaty, Delap, Shawcross (which on the Stoke website says he is 6'0. BS. That guy is at least 6'5), and a bunch of the other Stoke 1st teams, some of which, and Ken told us, are making upwards of £30,000 a week.

After training we went into the locker rooms to shower. The rooms are nothing special, especially at the training ground. Each spot has its own 2 hook and a chest to put things in, bathrooms and a set of showers. We ate lunch there as well before Ken pick us up at one. Chicken, pasta, veggies, soup. It was really good. Actually, all of the food we've had here has been really, really good. So haha, funny story. We were sitting there and a bunch of the coaches came and sat next to us and we're thinking 'Oh crap, we sat at the coaches table.' I asked one if we were at the wrong table and he said that we were fine. 5 minutes later the head manager walks in and after getting his food, walks up to Steve and goes 'Your in my seat.' Steve looks at me and half smiles, then looks at him, and looks at me again before looking at the manager and going, 'Are you serious?' Without any smile or anything, the guy goes 'Yes' and just stands there. Steve takes a second to react and gathers up his dishes, moving to the other table, completely ignoring the open chair right next to him and leaving me there with all of the coaches. Now I feel awkward, but at least I wasn't Steve for those 15 seconds. I asked the head man if I was in anyone's seat and he replies in a much friendlier way 'No you're alright mate'.

Anyway, Ken picked us up around 1 and took up home. We slept for a little before going over to his house again at 4ish. He and Jan (his wife) made another great dinner of chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggies, and Yorkshire puddings, which were basically bread with an opening in the middle to put some kind of filling. After dinner we talked for a bit before going to the Stoke vs. Portsmouth reserves game at the Britannia. The stadium is sweet, I'll get a photo on Saturday when we're there for the 1st team game. Since Ken is the man and knows everybody, we were sitting in what seemed like the corporate section. The hallways under the seats had red carpet, the bathrooms were really nice, and everyone sitting in those seats went into a couple of different rooms at halftime to half sandwiches and a cup of tea. We found this hilarious.

About 80 minutes through we left to go to Newcastle Town vs. Bramby, in a makeup league match. I have to be honest, everyone playing was fairly quick, fairly strong, very dirty, and the style of play was awful. I've never seen so many long balls in my life, ever, even in against George Fox or UPS , because BOTH teams were doing it. Newcastle Town won 2-1 on a nice free kick from 25 out that hit the inside of the post and went in. But, the way Whitman plays is much, much nicer.

Now we're home, its a bit late considering we're getting up at 8 again tomorrow. I think I'm training with the young ones tomorrow as well. good thing too, I just about broke a finger today taking shots from the older guys. Don't think it could take another day of that tomorrow. I think we'll be there for both the morning and afternoon sessions too. Update again tomorrow night...

S&B

More words from today that are always said: 'Cheers' or 'Cheers mate', 'F*uck off'' (a player to himself when he screws up), 'Oh noooooooooo'. I'm sure this list will get updated again tomorrow as well.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Steve! You didn't deserve to have been kicked out of that chair. You should have used one of those English phrases listed above.

    ReplyDelete